Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Journal of Oldric Mannheim

Wellentag, the 28th of Pflugzeit, 2522:
It has been nearly two weeks since our arrival at Middenhiem. The Wizard's Guild has kept me busy, I must do my best. I owe it to my master. Given the news of my companion's heroic deeds I have obtained permission to leave the guild and see if my friends and I can help right some of the wrongs of these recent days.

This morning on the way to my friends' I noticed a leaflet offering a small reward for information on the trade caravan we saw sacked three days south of here. My step quickenedd with the good news I carried towards my companions. My companions.

Sure Bardin Grimbeard liked to try to get me drunk, Felix struggled to teach me to fight with a sword, and Eldril spent many hours teaching about the natural world, but they were more like uncles than friends. I hope they are well... I will have to get word to them about Mannhiem somehow. As tragic as these days have been with master as well as so many others, oddly these have been some of the happiest days of my life.

In all my years travelling with my master I never really had the opportunity to make friends of my own.

They are an odd lot. When we were thrown together in that village we were bound by battle before we had ever spoken a word of friendship. Perhaps that is the only way we would have ever befriended one another. Not to sound full of my self, but they are not all as charming as I.

Andric the loud-mouthed priest of Sigmar, so full of ... faith. I usually do not find holy men's faith to run as deep as they pretend, but Andric is different. For all his talk he trully acts as if Sigmar himself is watching out for him. Though were I to base my opinion on the deaths of so many Sigmarites around him it must tax even that great God's powers to keep Andric alive.

Rudiger, that little thief. Even though I caught him stealing from us on that first day he seems a good man. Hells, I still remember when that sneaky little Hugo got caught stealing from my master and his companions. Old Mannhiem just snickered and told us, "What do expect? Although he is our friend, he is a thief. It is just his nature." Like Hugo this Rudiger is a resourceful bastard, and like Hugo his sneaky ways and sticky fingers are his nature and thank the gods for it too. Never know when you need a sneaky little bastard on your side.

Luther claims to be a hunter, though I do not ever think he has brought back anything more than a chipmunk for dinner. But he shoots a bow like an elf and is a good companion. They call him the speedy or something like that in his home town. They claim he can run fast, hell I thoght it was because he shoot as arrows as fast as I can blink.

Finally there is Diebold. The squire. Like me his master died fighting the armies of the Storm of Chaos. He has not spoken of the knight he served much. Maybe he did not care for him or perhaps he is afraid to show us any weakness. The nobility is always so concerned with appearences. He is hell to watch in a fight though. He swings his weapon with abandon, wildly striking his foes. Hell someday when he is as skilled as Old Felix he will be a dangerous man. He has been a bit reserved so far, surprising for one of his type they are ussually full of boast. maybe now that he proved himself in the fight with the Skaven he will open up.

When I finally located my friends to share the news of the potential job and had a chance to hear their stories of glory I learned that they had picked up a new companion, a gruff dwarf named Throngor. Even after a week you could see the many wounds he and Luther had suffered at the hands of the Skaven. I just wish I had been there to help. Maybe I could have made a difference . Thank the gods none of them are dead. Damn those filty rats.

Speaking of filthy rats, with my news of the flyer we all agreed to head over to the Legalist Guild to collect our reward. There, joined by a representitive of the milita named Nicodemus, we met with a Oleg Vanderhoot, a greasy and surely crooked lawyer. He has offered us 40 gold to end the threat to the caravan, 1 gold for each goblin head, though the guard Nico says that the Guard will pay us 1 gold per head in addition. So what the hell a chance to fight the Goblins that were attacking the caravans and make some money from a lawyer it was worth a few minutes in his presence. we spilit up our advance payment and sought supplies for our journey south to the site of the destroyed caravan to look for signs of the goblins with the black arrows.

Given that we are going to be paid 2 gold crowns per goblin head, Luther decided to go out and get himself a mule and cart. While it might be that he plans to carry a lot of heads I wonder if perhaps he won't end up strapping a couple of branches to the mules head and finally bagging himself a deer. Lucky for Luther, Throngor seems to know how to handle beasts and carts. Off for more adventure and a chance to prove my master was right to have chosen me. I cannot let down his memory. Someday I hope to be half the wizrd you were.

Aubentag, the 29th of Pflugzeit 2522:

Day One on the road south, was uneventful. Tonight we stayed at a carriage inn. Amazingly they have already begun to rebuild. My master always said in times of crisis a man's tue nature is revealed. I must say if that is true there may yet be better days ahead for the Empire after all. A few of the the merchants traveling north told me of a ambushed caravan two and a half days south. Sounds like the one we encountered.

Marktag, the 30th of Pflugzeit, 2522:

Second Day on the road south, was uneventful. Tonight we stayed in the ruins of another carriage inn. This one is still abandoned. Shockingly Luther caught a deer. Venison breakfast, lunch and dinner. But hell who's complaining. Throngor and I have been taking watch together. Not a bad fellow after all. He reminds me a bit of Grimbeard, though not as bright.

Backertag, the 31st of Pflugzeit, 2522:

Day Three on the road south, we encountered the ambush the merchants spoke about. Turns out to be a diferent one than that which we had encountered. Giant wolf tracks seem to lead west. At last we seem to be on the trail of the goblins, which seem to be mounted on giant wolves now. We will camped the woods tonight.

Bezahltag, the 32nd of Pflugzeit, 2522:

Day Four in the wilderness. Andric discovered the rock that had troubled his night's sleep was actually a Dwarfen Mile Marker. I remembered Grimbeard's tales of Dwarfen highways and hillforts. Figuring the Goblins might have made a base of an abandoned hill fort we headed off to find our enemies. Following the road we uncovered more wolf tracks. Returning from his position as scout, Rudiger soon had news of an abandoned cart and not long after the signs of a goblin camp. Throngor told us of the existence of another entrance. Using my magical senses I saw the tell-tale green miasma that always seems to accompany large groups of goblins or their lairs. While the rest of us moved up slowly Luther and Rudiger snuck ahead and uncovered what turned out to be a long forgotten entrance hidden atop the ruined fort. We shall sneak in that way I think. No more writing today, as I shall be otherwise occupied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home